After three Tyler ISD middle school students were taken to the hospital by their parents Monday, the District is again warning parents and students about the danger of the social media craze known as the “One Chip Challenge.” The challenge dares people to eat a chip covered in Carolina Reaper and ghost pepper seasonings, two of the world’s hottest peppers.
In a Facebook post, the district outlines the dangers and health complications and asks parents to talk with their children about the severity of these dangers.
The post reads: “WARNING: There is a ‘One Chip Challenge’ circulating on social media across the country. Monday, three of our middle school students were taken to the hospital by their parents due to a severe reaction after attempting the One Chip Challenge. The challenge dares you to eat a chip covered in Carolina Reaper and ghost pepper seasonings. As a result, many people experience severe abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and difficulty breathing that can last more than 24 hours and lead to more severe health complications. Parents, PLEASE talk with your children about the dangers of this challenge.”
Tyler ISD Director of Health Services Rachel Barber says that students and parents need to be aware of the dangers of many online challenges on social media.
“The latest One Chip Challenge can cause serious bodily injury and poisoning, and some can even be fatal,” Barber said. “Serious complications such as damaged airways, seizures, and coma have been linked to many of these challenges. Students need to be mindful that while they may get ’likes’ or comments on social media, it could also leave them with life-long health complications that aren’t worth the risk.”
“This social media challenge has been around for a few years now and is still causing a safety and security issue for our students,” Chief Communications Officer Jennifer Hines said. “This isn’t the first time one of our students had to go to the hospital after attempting this chip challenge. We had another student taken to the hospital in 2021. Parents, please speak with your children about the seriousness of what could happen when they try to do these social media challenges. We love your children and want them to be safe and healthy.”
For more information, contact Jennifer Hines at 903-262-1064.