Tyler ISD will kick off the new school year Wednesday, Aug. 19, and administrators, teachers, and staff are excited to be with students again. Although the school year will look different, the District is rallying its staff to “adapt and deliver” so that it can continue creating successful student outcomes.
“Our adapt and deliver attitude (#A2D on social media) illustrates our goal for this school year,” Superintendent Dr. Marty Crawford said. “As we all know, we face many challenges trying to educate our children in this new COVID-19 era. In Tyler ISD, we will turn these challenges into opportunities to adapt our traditional ways of learning to successfully deliver our students, staff, and families with safe and equitable learning environments.”
Since July, Tyler ISD has informed its families, staff, and the community of health and safety protocols (based on the most current guidance) the District will follow as it reopens for the school year. The Tyler ISD Return to Learn protocols include face coverings and social distancing requirements, cleaning and sanitizing procedures, as well as screening and isolation procedures.
This school year families and students have the opportunity to choose either Learn@Home or In-School Learning, based on the option that serves their personal or family situation best. In both instructional options, the quality of instruction, attendance, and grading requirements will be the same. Results from an instructional declaration survey where families were asked to choose their learning option for the first grading period resulted in approximately 70 percent choosing In-School Learning and 30 percent choosing Learn@Home. Although students are required to remain in their chosen learning option for the full grading period, families do have the flexibility to change their learning option for the next grading period by completing a form in the Parent Self-Serve Portal no later than 10 days prior to the next six weeks grading period.
“I am proud of our administrators and staff for their hard work in navigating these uncharted waters and delivering solid plans with the safety of students and staff as top priority,” Dr. Crawford said. “We’re ready for a safe and healthy 2020-2021 school year.”
Additional resources to help begin the school year are as follows:
- All students (returning and new) must enroll each school year. For enrollment information, go to tylerisd.org/enroll or contact your campus;
- Visit campus websites and/or social media accounts for specific details regarding Meet the Teacher or Orientation events, supply lists, arrival/dismissal information and more;
- A Technology Device Agreement must be completed through the Parent Self-Serve Portal before a District Chromebook will be checked out to a student. Learn more at TylerISD.org/ReturnToLearn. Check with your campus for Chromebook distribution dates and times. Priority will go to Learn@Home students without a device with audio and visual capabilities;
- The new Tyler ISD Park and Learn Project provides free WIFI access in all District campus parking lots. The Park and Learn Project helps students and families with little or no internet access the opportunity to download or upload assignments, access the Canvas learning management system, and connect with teachers when needed. Learn more at TylerISD.org/ReturnToLearn;
- Curbside school breakfast and lunch meals will be available for Learn@Home students at Free/Reduced or standard meal pricing. Students must be present to purchase Curbside meals. For menus, prices, and Free/Reduced lunch information, go to TylerISD.org/FoodService;
- Read the full Tyler ISD Return to Learn Plan at TylerISD.org/ReturnToLearn.
For questions or more information, the media can contact the Office of Communications at 903-262-1064.
Attention Media - At this time, to further ensure the safety of students and staff, media is not permitted onto campuses. If the Tyler ISD Communications department can assist you in obtaining photos or videos of the first day of school, please contact us with your specific needs and we will do our best to accommodate.