Tyler ISD continues to actively monitor the Novel Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) situation in conjunction with local and federal health authorities. In this update, you’ll find information regarding: Cancelled/Postponed Events, Facilities Updates, Extended Learning Plans, School Calendar & How You Can Help
Cancelled/Postponed March Events
Tyler ISD events originally scheduled through March 22 are postponed until further notice. An update regarding event cancellation or event rescheduling will be provided prior to the district reopening.
Cancelled and Postponed events include:
- Special Olympics practices (cancelled through March)
- Elementary UIL District-wide Academic Meet
- High School UIL District 16-5A and 11-6A Academic Meets
- La Academia Distinguished Speaker Series
- Caldwell Arts Academy Auditions – postponed until after school resumes
- TJC Dual Credit Courses cancelled for the week of March 16
- Junior Visual Arts Scholastic Event (Middle School) and Texas Elementary Art Meet
- 6A One Act Play Bi-District rescheduled for April 4.
- UIL Events and Activities
- The SAT originally scheduled for March 14, at REL, will be rescheduled for a future date.
*Additional cancellations and/or rescheduling will be communicated as it becomes available.
All Tyler ISD school campuses, facilities, and playgrounds remain closed to all students and non-emergency personnel until the District reopens. Also, all buildings are also closed to outside rentals during this time. All athletic facilities (fields, gyms, & weight rooms) will be closed effective March 16 through March 22. This means there will be no practices, open gyms, or open weight rooms during this time. The Tyler ISD Pool is also closed.
Extended Learning Plans
Tyler ISD is committed to ongoing student learning opportunities while the District is closed. The District is finalizing its extended learning plan and will provide more information in future updates. Also, the District is working on a list of FREE supplemental websites to keep students engaged while campuses are closed. In addition, check out this valuable resource to Tyler ISD students and families: Altice USA is offering 60 days of FREE broadband internet for those not currently signed up for service to help students stay connected and learning during this time! Click here for more information.
Details of necessary adjustments to the school calendar are still being evaluated. As of this time, Graduation Ceremonies and Prom events already planned will remain as scheduled.
How Can You Help?
We have received many messages from our caring Tyler ISD Family asking how to be of service during this situation. At this time, the most helpful things you can do include:
- Sharing Tyler ISD updates with friends and family;
- Following recommended CDC health practices such as washing hands frequently, avoiding large gatherings and practicing social distancing;
- Tyler ISD does not currently need volunteers to respond to this evolving health situation. Should a need arise in the future, the district will send out specific requests in future Tyler ISD COVID-19 updates. Many thanks again to all who have generously and kindly offered to help our Tyler ISD Family!