Tyler ISD Warns Parents About Dangers of the ‘One Chip Challenge’

After a Tyler ISD middle school student was sent to the hospital Wednesday, the District is warning its parents and students about the danger of the latest social media craze known as the “One Chip Challenge.” The challenge dares people to eat a chip covered in Carolina Reaper and Ghost Pepper seasonings, two of the world’s hottest peppers. 

In a Facebook post, the District outlines the dangers and health complications and asks parents to talk with their children about the severity of these dangers. 

The post reads: “WARNING: There is a ‘One Chip Challenge’ circulating on social media across the country. Today, one of our middle school students was taken by EMS to the hospital due to a severe reaction after attempting the One Chip Challenge. The challenge dares you to eat a chip covered in Carolina Reaper and Ghost Pepper seasonings. As a result, many people experience severe abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and difficulty breathing that can last more than 24 hours and lead to more severe health complications. Parents, PLEASE talk with your children about the dangers of this challenge.”

“A good day can go wrong instantly,” the student’s mother said. “When I received the call, I couldn’t even think. I just had to get to my child. The unknown was so scary. I was traveling and praying the whole way there. The child you said goodbye to this morning, could that be the final time? I’m so glad my child is going to be ok; I am so thankful.”

Tyler ISD Director of Health Services Rachel Barber says that students and parents need to be aware of the dangers of many of the online challenges circulating on social media. 

“Many challenges, like the Tide Pod challenge, Benadryl challenge, choking game, or the latest One Chip Challenge, can cause serious bodily injury and/or poisoning, and some can even be fatal,” Barber said. “Serious complications such as damaged airways, seizures, and coma have been linked to many of these challenges. Students need to be mindful that while they may get “likes” or comments on social media, it could also leave them with life-long health complications.”

The student’s mother has a warning for other students and parents. “To other students out there, follow your own mind, not social media,” she said. “Things could have turned out much differently. Parents, talk to your children about social media and these harmful challenges. It’s not worth the risk.”