Dear Tyler ISD Family,
We hope that you and your family are safe and healthy, and we remain grateful for your continued support as we prepare to Return to Learn in August!
In this update, you’ll find information regarding:
- Parent/Guardian/Student Survey
- BLADE Remote Learning
- Bus Protocols
Tyler ISD Parent/Guardian/Student Survey
As part of our preparation for the opening of schools for the 2020-2021 school year, we need to hear your feedback. Please fill out this brief survey for each individual student by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, July 15, 2020.
- Complete the Survey
Encuesta de padres/estudiantes: reapertura de escuelas - Como parte de nuestra preparación para la apertura de escuelas para el año escolar 2020-2021, necesitamos escuchar sus comentarios.
BLADE Remote Learning
Tyler ISD is putting systems in place to provide a more robust remote learning environment should we shut down to COVID-19 or any other unforeseeable events in the future. The new Blended Learning and Digital Education (BLADE) platform will be integrated into current classroom curricula allowing students to move seamlessly between in-school learning and remote learning if or when needed.
The Tyler ISD BLADE program includes:
- Canvas Learning Management System
- 1:1 Devices for Staff and Students
- Increased WiFi Connectivity
The District has purchased a learning management system, called Canvas, which is used by various higher education institutions (like UT Tyler and TJC) and K-12 organizations. Canvas provides a virtual classroom for creating, storing, sharing, and communicating in a reliable platform.
Also, the District has purchased additional mobile devices for students and teachers.
Classroom teachers each have iPads that will connect them to their virtual desktop, allow them to access Canvas, and utilize web conferencing capabilities.
Moving to a 1:1 digital device strategy provides a device to every student in grades K-12. The devices are assigned and rented out to students in the fall and are required to be returned at the end of the school year. Students will use the devices inside the classroom and some will use them at home as well.
We understand that for many students and families, reliable internet connectivity can be a challenge. Tyler ISD is in the process of providing free access to WiFi in all of our District facility parking lots so that families can access the internet when needed. In addition, we are working with various community partners around Tyler to provide additional connectivity resources.
To ensure we have a safe and secure environment for our students who ride the bus, the following procedures will be put into place at the start of school and continue until further notice:
- The student needs to check their temperature prior to coming to the bus stop each morning. If the student is running a fever of 100° or higher, the student should be kept at home until fever free for 24 hours without the use of medications (i.e. aspirin, Tylenol, etc.);
- All bus riders will be required to wear face masks while on the bus;
- As riders enter the bus, they will apply hand sanitizer that will be mounted at the entrance door;
- Strict adherence to all bus rules from the bus driver and/or monitor must be followed;
- All students exiting the bus will be checked for fever by school personnel before being allowed into their campus;
- Campus personnel will follow campus protocol concerning those students who have fever.
Questions concerning any of the above protocols should be directed to the Transportation Department at 903.262.1135.