James S. Hogg Middle School
James S. Hogg Middle School was designed by Bryan and Sharp Architects of Dallas, Texas, and opened as James S. Hogg Junior High School in September, 1930. Hogg Middle School is located in Tyler’s Azalea District on approximately 8 acres of land and is an example of the classical architecture used for schools during this time period.
Hogg Middle School was named for James Stephen Hogg, the nineteenth governor and first native governor of Texas. He was a firm supporter of public education. Mr. Hogg was born in Rusk, Texas, on March 24, 1851. He moved to Tyler in 1882, serving as District Attorney, and in 1886 became the Attorney General of Texas. In 1890, he ran for governor and won, and was re-elected in 1892. After his terms in office ended in 1895, he moved to Austin, where he died in 1906.
Hogg Middle School is currently a prominent middle school in the Tyler Independent School District.