Clarkston Elementary opened its classroom doors in 1959 in a wooded Southeast Tyler neighborhood and was named for Horace H. Clarkston, Sr. He served on the Tyler Board of Education for 18 years.
The Clarkston home was next door to Robert's Jr. High School. Mr. Clarkston reasoned that one could not come closer to a realization of "Heaven on Earth" than to live so close to young people whose destinies were being shaped to some extent by his planning as a member of the school board.
His friendliness, loyalty, and honesty are still valued and modeled by the Clarkston students and staff.
March 20, 2009, marked the date for the Groundbreaking for the new school building. Students and staff moved into current facility in March, 2010, ahead of schedule and under budget.
2010 - Present
Clarkston Cougars are currently enjoying a state of the art learning facility complete with walking track, beautiful media center, outdoor amphitheater and learning commons.