PTA’s Mission Statement:
To make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children.
PTA’s Purposes (Parent Education, Family Engagement, Advocacy)
• To promote the welfare of children and youth in home, school, community, and place of worship.
• To raise the standards of home life.
• To secure adequate laws for the care and protection of children and youth.
• To bring into closer relation the home and school, that parents and teachers may cooperate intelligently in the education of children and youth.
• To develop between educators and the general public such united efforts as will secure for all children and youth the highest advantages in physical, mental, social, and spiritual education.
The Reflections program recognizes students at the Local, Council/Region, State and National PTA levels. At each level, all entries are judged on interpretation of the theme, creativity and artistic merit. The Reflections program is open to all Texas students who meet the necessary requirements below:
*Schools Supported by a Local PTA/PTSA:
1. Students must attend a school with a Local PTA/PTSA which achieves Active Status no later than October 31; or students must attend a school which is defined within the service area of a community-based Local PTA/PTSA which achieves Active Status no later than October 31.
2. The student or at least one person from their primary household must be a current member of the Local PTA/PTSA where the student is participating. Each Local PTA/PTSA may determine a date by which the member must join.
*Home-School Families, Virtual Schools and Non-PTA Schools:
1. Students who attend a school that is not supported by a Local PTA/PTSA may participate through the Lone Star Statewide PTA as long as the student or at least one person of their primary household is a member of this PTA no later than October 31. Joining is easy at www.joinpta.org.
Students may enter any or all of the six art categories. Multiple entries within a single arts category is permitted. Each entry must be the original work of one student and created specifically for the Reflections program based on the national theme. Each entry must also conform to the guidelines developed by the National PTA.
Visit our 2015-2016 Reflections Gallery to see examples of entries that were awarded at the state level of judging last year.